Tuesday, November 1, 2011

My Journey III

Well here I am again....having yet another lumpectomy
(the first week of November, 2011)
And it has certainly been a whirlwind.
After a lot of other medical issues in October and several trips to the ER and a few hospital stays, other procedures done for those other medical issues a lump was found during a scan of my lungs.
I had a mammogram.
I had a ultrasound.
I had another biopsy, this time by someone completely different because I am in another hospital....and I have no insurance. They didn't numb before they did the biopsy. Markers were put in place and left inside of my breast. The doctor urged me to get a lumpectomy set up and get that lump removed as soon as possible.
That proved to be alot easier said than done.  

I got assigned a doctor and after a few days I finally was able to get a appointment set.
But it got rescheduled by his office.  
And again it got rescheduled. 
And again it got rescheduled.
Now I've lost count how many times that happened. 
I started looking for another doctor to do the surgery.  When you get a lumpectomy around here you get a general surgeon. Until they pass you on to oncology you're stuck with a general surgeon. So.....I found another guy.  
Long story short I had yet again another lumpectomy on November 9, 2011. 
The hospital was short handed. It has since closed down the OR. I had to wait three hours before they were able to do the lumpectomy. And I'm concerned
by some things that were said to me. During the initial appointment and again before surgery it was said to me that some days just ticks me off.
 My last lumpectomy was done by a doctor that said "if you keep having this done you will no longer have any breast tissue" followed up with since the biopsy didn't show cancer I shouldn't have the lumpectomy done and left me feeling like I was wasting his time and why was I there. Even though another doctor placed markers inside my breast and urged me to get the surgery ASAP and said "run don't walk to the doctor". Yes, my biopsy was inconclusive. I was experiencing breast pain and burning. I did get the lumpectomy but since having it done things are not better. There is still terrible pain at times, some burning and it still feels as thought there is a lump in there. With my other surgeries I didn't have this problem. I have no insurance and get the run around, I feel that I dont get that same treatment or care as others with insurance. I get pushed off to other doctors and have to start over each time I see a new one. My blood work shows something but they don't really push the issue. I have precancerous cells. I think that at least I should be back on the meds I took years ago. I think I should be taking the Tamoxifen or something....anything. But I feel that since I don't have insurance I'm just getting swept to the side. 
I will keep pushing to get care.
Something isn't right and it is not just in my head.


No comments:

Post a Comment